Saturday, January 7, 2012

Week ONE - blending technique for collage



WELCOME everyone!!

Thank you all so much for the support you have shown by signing up to play with me this year. I so appreciate it and know we are all going to have such FUN. Please leave your comments, links and any suggestions in the comments area and don't forget to upload any work you do to the group's flickr page http://www.flickr.com/groups/1844373@N21/ as well as any other link you have supplied us. We want to visit and look at the eye candy! To see the list or join up click here

So this week is a simple collage technique I use for blending elements together into a whole. It can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be and it is one I use often. If you have pastels, I strongly suggest you use them here as you will LOVE the way they interact with the gesso, both before and after. If using before, it tints the gesso and afterwards blends smoothly into soft edges. As mentioned in the video, if you are concerned about them rubbing off, you can *fix* them with spray fixitive or just normal old hairspray. I will be using pastels quite a bit, so you might want to get some if you don't have any already. Cheaper brands are fine and if you find a great bargain, please SHARE the info here!



I used similar blending techniques on the piece shown below while encorporating hand painting and layering to give more depth. I have used parts of prints of my own artwork to collage on here too. Think about doing that as you can paint it once and use it again and again AND AGAIN.......


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, had great fun and have tried something different. Have posted on my blog and am about to find the flickr page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much enjoyed watching. Something new for me to try. I really love your "Water Soul". Thanks much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this first prompt. I kept it to a nice simple collage, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole process - and your video! Thanks Jan xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only just had time to watch this video, so haven't gotten into the studio to play yet. But it looks fun and easy and I'm itching to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to hear that Jeanette, thanks for playing. And Deb, just glad you watched and enjoyed. Don't forget to share when you get time to do it.... smiles Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jan, thx for your 52 Playdates :) I've already watched this video once, and have come back to watch it again :)

    Doing this whole altered book thing is awesome ... but a bit scary. Which is a good combination, really, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sue, yes I think definitely a good combination LOL I always ask myself "what is the worst that can happen?" If it's just wasting a page or sheet of paper or using 1/2 jar of gesso, then I go for it! More often than not, I discover something new which is very, very COOL. Have fun......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jan & all.
    Almost embarrassing to be coming in at this late stage....I have finally completed week 1 exercise. See it blogged at http://lenasartexplorations.blogspot.com.au/
    Hoping to catch up to real time soon,
    Thanks so much Jan :)

    ReplyDelete